Monday, January 24, 2005

The Hawk

The Hawk within 1/24/05
Support of the “hawk” in men and women, not through military battle, instead with peaceful movements for the environment and social justice has always been pleasing to me. If this is living in fantasy- land then that is precisely where I have been for 37 yrs. This mental picture has brought great optimism and peace to me over the years. We are indeed creatures of habit; civilization is filled with mixed up theories (mostly unexamined- my new goal to examine) about the purpose and meaning of life, seems this results in confrontation which can and has provoked violence and war. In order for me to enjoy the many benefits of life on this great earth I must open my mind and reach out to understand. Global thinking is also something I am no stranger to. It’s good to know where other people came from why they believe the way they do. Tolerance of others ,in all ways, has been my motivation for many years.
The recent presidential election has definitely had an impact on my thought process- it has caused me to re-examine what I believed to be true about the United States of America.
When the White House asked the media not to air video of bin Laden it was a blow to free press in the name of protecting the people from what? fear? please. And the media complied- *sigh. Not that I think this is the first time it has ever happened- it’s not.
I do have a pretty good understanding of our foundation, and it IS my responsibility to find out more. Without much debate the U.S.A. Patriot Act bill was passed. I took seriously the privilege of going to my local library and studying anything I wanted without the government having the right to know- that is now gone. They can snoop all they want even into student records and medical records- doing all of this and never tell me what’s going on. With the wiretap powers, law enforcement being allowed to for ever detain non-citizens on “suspicion” of terrorism and more, I must say I’m pretty worried. I strongly believe my constitutional civil liberties are being violated. - I highly suggest a look at section 215 (PA) to all Americans just to see if you have a comfort level with what is law. Then a peek at the draft of PA2-The fourth amendment comes to mind front and center, violation or not you decide.
It deeply disturbed me to find that the Bu$h administration has power that I have been unable to find in the Constitution that being the single power to imprison an American citizen for ever without charges or even access to a lawyer. Did the courts somehow hand him a crown without the American people knowing or caring was my first thought. So shit! I could be taken into custody for no reason at all and called an enemy soldier, due process out the door. This ruling was under appeal- and I being the lazy American I have dropped the ball and have no idea what happened- complacency, my downfall.
The fingerprinting of protesters that were arrested during the R. National C. and making it okay by saying it took place because of fears of threats by terrorists or anarchists is a HUGE concern as well. Chris (mother) used to talk about “big brother” Tim (Father) still does- this isn’t something only hippies are talking about now- Of course with my limited knowledge I could be wrong. Holy shit, sure I hope I’m mistaken!
I guess the real question for me would be has the current leaders of the United States of America a real grasp on the foundation of this fine Country? From this angle --they most certainly do not.
And now, once again, we must fight for freedom- or ..*gulp* leave the country. This country where we have the pleasure -freedom of and freedom from.
~Speak RIGHT UP~!
Power to the Peaceful,
Jessica


“To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.”
Benjamin Disraeli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home